People can choose to travel solo for a variety of reasons. Whatever you reason is solo travel is amazing. Everyone should experience a solo trip at least once in your life, but after your first solo trip I can’t be held responsible if you ditch everyone and only go on vacation alone.
Here are my top ten tips for having a successful solo vacation.
- Stay somewhere in the middle of the action. Whether you prefer a hostel or fancy brand name hotel pick a central location that has access to public transportation and is near some of your must-see destinations.
- Take day trips and tours. Signing up for a full day excursion out of the city or to a remote location while on your trip is a great way to meet new people. Also, your tour guide will be able to share with you some history intermingled with little anecdotes that you wouldn’t get from books.
3. Eat at the bar. This gives you the opportunity to mingle and chat with other patrons or even ask the bartender for their opinion on what you should see and do. Recommendations from someone who lives in the community are priceless compared to those typical tourist spots everyone goes to.
4. Provide all your travel information to a friend or family member at home. You don’t know what can happen and it’s smart to make sure someone knows where you are staying, your flight or bus schedule and any other pertinent travel information.
5. Make sure you have Wi-Fi or some type of internet connectivity. A lot of mobile plans have a simple $10 extra day to use your phone as you would at home while in certain countries. This is money well spent and you can just add this to your travel budget. Public Wi-Fi is a good backup plane but be sure use a VPN or some other precautions that can protect you and your information from being hacked.
6. Learn at least a few words in the language spoken at your destination. This will help you make friends with people and just make it easier getting around.
7. Do a little research on the customs and traditions for where you are travelling.
8. Enjoy yourself, go out at night but don’t drink too much. You don’t want a hangover ruining your early plans the next day! And it’s better to err on the side of caution when travelling solo.
9. Take a book or ereader with you. This is a great alternative to sitting at the bar, or maybe grabbing a quick cup of coffee at a local coffee shop during a break from all that sightseeing.
10. The last tip is be adventurous. Don’t be afraid to try something new while on your trip. Go on that excursion you have always wanted to try. Eat something you wouldn’t find at home. This is your trip, your time to do what you want be sure to take advantage of that freedom.